Hello my friend!
About 6 months ago, Ollie Mealing told us about a simple system he uses to create incredibly fooling magic that can be performed anytime, anywhere—with ANY deck of cards.
If you don’t know Ollie, here’s what Derren Brown had to say about his work…
“Magnificent. So rare to be fooled and delighted.”
This system is based on one laughably easy principle that pretty much every magician on earth is aware of.
Ollie shared 8 effects with us, all based on this idea, and we were blown away by their quality and deceptiveness.
Not only are they easy enough that you’ll be able to master them in a half hour or so of practice, they’re so cleverly assembled that they’ve fooled some of the best card magicians in the world.
So when Ollie asked us if we’d be interested in producing a project teaching these effects on his behalf—we were instantly on-board.
We dove into the effects, learned them, and then put our own handling and spin on them.
This project was a JOY to put together, and as soon as we started filming we got incredibly excited about sharing it with you.
Before we show you the performance videos, here are a few ‘parameters’ that are true for ALL of the following 8 effects:
- ZERO forces
- 100% impromptu
- The deck can be PROPERLY shuffled before you begin
- ZERO pre-work
- ZERO gimmicks
- Beginner level sleight of hand ONLY
- The deck can be borrowed
Essentially, the perfect criteria for impactful yet easy impromptu card magic.
Well, we’ve talked enough, let’s show you the effects themselves…
Number 8 Pick: The Dark Side
- Very easy to learn and perform (essentially zero sleight of hand required)
- Devilishly clever in its method (once you know the secret you’ll instantly start thinking of other ways to apply it!)
- Fast to perform (a perfect easy opener)
- The card can be revealed however you like (this was just one performance method!)
Number 7 Pick: Secret Agent
- Nearly impossible to ‘reverse engineer’
- Extremely visual (for a trick that requires basic sleight of hand it creates a very powerful memory for the spectator)
- Well motivated and structured (we weren’t sure how to ‘motivate’ the method, but Ollie’s done a fantastic job of scripting it all!)
- Fast and fun (it involves the spectator in a really great way and is extremely enjoyable to perform)
Number 6 Pick: Behind The Curtain
- Features an original move that you could use in SO many other performances to powerful effect
- Can be adapted to other modes of performing (we’ll show you an alternate method in the tutorial video!)
- Can be revealed any way you like (this was just one way of performing it!)
Number 5 Pick: Trapdoor
- Probably the second easiest trick of the bunch (you’ll have it down within a few attempts)
- Fools magicians (Ollie Mealing first showed this to Christian Grace who was fooled by it!)
- Disgustingly simple to do!
Number 4 Pick: Blindspot
- So simple you can start performing it the moment the tutorial video ends
- Uses a powerful method that’s truly ‘hidden in plain view’
- All happens in the spectators hands
Number 3 Pick: Tap Dance
- Very fooling (we had NO IDEA how this one worked when Ollie first showed it to us!)
- Can be applied to a TON of other routines (we applied the principle to a stacked deck with very interesting results)
- Everything looks extremely chaotic, messy and unplanned
- Makes you look like an expert card handler (when really you’re doing very basic work!)
Number 2 Pick: Banger
- Is performed in a very compact manner that makes reverse engineering the method very difficult
- Requires just one easy move to make it all work
- Very motivated
- The reveal can customised to your situation
Number 1 Pick: Crocodile Z
- Very workable and powerful (can slot into any routine)
- Uses a very well-known sleight in a way we’ve never seen done before
- Can fool magicians!
Now you’re probably wondering, for a project with this many effects—the price tag must be pretty high.
See, most magic companies price individual effects of this quality at around $10 at LEAST.
That would make the total value of this project $80!
(and that’s not even including the bonuses!)
However, we’re selling it for just $29.95!
P.S. If your annoying nephew calls you out on every trick just drop us an email and we’ll have your money back before you can even start getting mad.
Before you go, I wanted to show you one of my favourite impromptu card tricks called ‘Airwaves’ that you can learn immediately below...
Why I like it…
- Borrowed deck.
- 100% impromptu.
- Multiple reveals.
- Good spectator involvement.
- Clean handling.
- Strong visual impact.
- Versatile (the trick can be performed with an incomplete deck).
- Simple execution.
This is a fantastic impromptu effect that I think you’ll have an easy time learning, and a great one performing! As I mentioned, most magic companies price individual effects of this quality at around $10 at LEAST which is why it’s so awesome to find that some of the greatest impromptu magic effects can be found online for free!
Thanks for reading!
Did you know?
Every week at The Daily Magician, we explore a new idea within magic—and our readers come along for the journey.
Whether we’re pulling apart the science of creativity, brainstorming methods with world-class magicians, or discovering what card tricks look like in Vietnam, we’ll take you ‘behind the curtain’ with us.
To sign up, click below and enter your email: